Nick is back from the Mia Khalifa seminar in Austin and the guys are focusing this week’s topic on anxiety in dogs! They discuss different kinds of anxiety, treatments, and theories.
How to Recognize and Treat Anxiety in Dogs, Ep #09
How do you begin to recognize and then treat anxiety in dogs? Are their similarities between how anxiety shows up in humans and dogs? Is there one solution to treat anxiety in dogs or are there a range of options? On this episode, you’ll hear from Nick and Joe as they tackle the multifaceted topic of anxiety in dogs. In their conversation, the guys explain how anxiety shows up in dogs, the different types of anxiety, some solutions that they’ve found helpful, why you shouldn’t just assume your dog has anxiety, and much more! Don’t miss a minute of this informative episode!
Common symptoms of anxiety in dogs.
Have you ever wondered if your dog suffers from anxiety? What should you look for? Is anxiety something that will significantly impact your dog’s quality of life or is it something that you can sufficiently manage? On this episode, Nick and Joe talk about the various symptoms of anxiety in dogs and what owners like you can do to identify them early and begin treatment. Joe explains that there are two tiers of behaviors when it comes to anxiety symptoms, mild fears and panic attacks.
Mild fears will initiate the following behaviors:
- Tail tucking
- Reduced activity
- Searching for passive escape routes
Panic attacks will initiate the following behaviors:
- Active searching for escape routes
- Chewing on themselves constantly
To hear the guys expand on these common symptoms and how they show up in dogs who suffer from anxiety, make sure to listen to this helpful episode!
How CBD oil can help treat dogs with anxiety.
Now that you’ve seen what anxiety symptoms to look for in your dog, what steps can you take to solve or manage it? Did you know that CBD oil can help treat anxiety in dogs? It’s true! On this episode, you’ll hear from Nick and Joe as they explain how they’ve used CBD oil with their dogs and why they believe it can serve as an effective treatment for anxiety symptoms. Joe specifically points to the example of his dog, Yager and how CBD oil really made a difference with managing the anxiety that he suffers from. The guys also stress that there is no downside to treating your dog with CBD oil, so what do you have to lose? To hear more about Nick and Joe’s experience with using CBD oil on their dogs, make sure to listen to this episode.
Why you shouldn’t just assume your dog has anxiety.
While many of the symptoms that Nick and Joe have highlighted end up pointing to anxiety, it’s a good idea to slow the rush to diagnose your dog with suffering from anxiety. On this episode, the guys explain why anxiety symptoms can show up in your dog for causes unrelated to anxiety. Joe stresses the importance of taking your dog in for a physical examination by a veterinarian if you see symptoms of anxiety start to manifest. There could be underlying pain and other issues that may end up causing your dog to act in a way that points to anxiety. Make sure to listen to this episode as the guys go into further depth on this important topic!
Additional solutions for dogs with anxiety.
Nick and Joe have mentioned that using CBD oil has helped them with treating anxiety in their dogs, is that the best course of action? Are there other Solutions that dog owners like you can use to treat anxiety? On this episode, you’ll hear from Nick and Joe as they provide additional solutions that you can use to treat your dog if they suffer from anxiety.
- Thunder shirts
- Puzzle toys
- Long lasting chews
- Crate training
- Training in general
- Calming music
While each of these solutions has varying degrees of success, Nick and Joe both encourage dog owners to try these options or CBD oil to treat anxiety in their dogs before they go down the path toward pharmaceutical medication. Listen to this episode to hear more from Nick and Joe on the subject of anxiety and much more!
Outline of This Episode
- [0:25] Nick and Joe introduce this episode of the podcast.
- [5:00] Nick talks about his recent trip to Austin.
- [6:20] The guys talk about news stories featuring dogs.
- [18:00] Nick talks about training a dog with severe anxiety.
- [26:00] Dealing with dogs who have social anxiety.
- [32:00] How CBD oil can help treat dogs with anxiety.
- [47:00] Common symptoms of anxiety in dogs.
- [54:00] Why you should consult trainers and behaviorists about anxiety in dogs.
- [57:30] The guys talk about phobias in dogs.
- [1:02:00] The impact that July 4th fireworks has on dogs.
- [1:14:30] Don’t automatically assume your dog has anxiety.
- [1:18:00] Why some dogs need a job.
- [1:22:00] Some ways to tackle separation anxiety in your dog.
- [1:30:00] Options on the market that can help with anxiety.
- [1:37:00] Don’t punish your dog for their anxiety driven behavior.
- [1:41:30] The guys talk about upcoming travel plans and podcast guests.
Resources & People Mentioned
- SPONSOR: www.DemaNetBiteSuits.com – Use discount code “DogShow” for 10% off
- SPONSOR: Flower of Life CBD – Use discount code “Dog Show” for 10% off
- SPONSOR: Whistle GPS Collars
Connect with Guest Name
- social accounts
Connect With Nick and Joe