Special guests join The Dog Show this week: Chris Pelle from demanetbitesuits.com, Paul Ludwig from IronDogK9, and Ben Gouldman from Stafford County Fire & Rescue.
The guys discuss:
-Most popular dogs in New York
-Nick’s crazy seminar in Austin, Tx with Mia Khalifa
-Accelerant Detection K9’s
-and much more!!
Everything You Want To Know About Canine Training for Fire and Police with Ben Goldman & Paul Ludwig, Ep #7
How valuable is canine training for fire and police departments? Can they really end up saving departments time and money? What does the training process look like? How do they vary between police and fire? On this episode of The Dog Show, you’ll hear from special guests Ben Goldman and Paul Ludwig. In their conversation with Joe, Ben and Paul discuss their experiences with canine training for their respective departments. You don’t want to miss this great opportunity to hear all you’ve ever wanted to know about canine training for fire and police work on this exciting episode!
Canine training for fire department work.
What does it take to train a dog for fire department work? How does it help that department save money? What are some of the challenges involved in training? On this episode, you’ll hear from firefighter and canine trainer, Ben Goldman. In his conversation with Joe, Ben talks about his relationship with his dog, Duchess and the work she does with accelerant detection. Ben says that he does some type of training with Duchess every day and that they’ve built a strong connection. Ben is convinced that there remains a high need in fire departments all over the nation to invest in canine training that will end up saving valuable resources. To hear more about Ben’s story and his work with Duchess, make sure to listen to this episode!
Canine training for police department work.
What does it take to get a dog fully trained and ready to go as a police canine? How does police canine training differ from fire department work? On this episode of The Dog Show, you’ll hear from police canine trainer Paul Ludwig. In their conversation, Joe and Paul discuss Paul’s movie, K9 Guardians and what that experience was like. Paul also explains why he doesn’t think it is wise to try to retrain a police dog that lacks the determination and resolve to perform in the field. Don’t want to miss a minute of Paul’s unique perspective on this episode!
The benefits of agility training.
What benefits can agility training bring to dogs working for the police department? Is this a common aspect of training for police canines? On this episode of The Dog Show, you’ll hear from Paul Ludwig as he provides his take on agility training and its role with training police canines. Paul shares some specific and illuminating stories that drive home his point about the usefulness of agility training for dogs in the field. To hear more about the role of agility training and how it can help police canines, make sure to listen to this episode featuring Paul!
Why dog selection is an important and overlooked factor.
When choosing a canine for police work, is it really that important to select a dog with the right temperament and personality or can training make up for that? On this episode of The Dog Show, police canine trainer Paul Ludwig opens up about his thoughts on dog selection and its role in fielding the best dogs for police work. It is clear that Paul is convinced that dogs need to be selected from the beginning with the right temperament and personality to perform as a police canine officer. While it may not be cost-effective, Paul strongly expresses the need for police departments to find a new dog to replace dogs that can’t perform at the right time in the field. Go into further depth on this topic with Paul on this engaging episode!
Outline of This Episode
- [0:30] Joe’s introduction to this episode of the podcast.
- [1:30] Guest’s Ben and Paul introduce themselves.
- [3:30] Chris from Demanet Bite Suits talks about how he got involved with dog training.
- [11:45] Joe covers some news stories featuring dogs.
- [16:00] Ben talks about how he got his dog, Duchess and how he trains with her.
- [19:00] How Ben and his fire department uses Duchess.
- [25:00] Should there be more accelerant detection canines in service?
- [30:30] Paul talks about his experience with dog training and filming a movie.
- [39:00] Can you recondition a dog that isn’t a perfect fit for police work?
- [45:00] Why trainers and handlers need to leave their egos at the door.
- [54:30] Obedience and socialization are important factors for police dogs.
- [57:00] Paul talks about agility training.
- [1:01:30] How often are dogs ready to start training right off of the bat?
- [1:05:30] Why it’s important to invest in training and dog selection.
- [1:09:00] Paul’s advice for police officers.
- [1:16:00] The difference between working with different breeds for police work.
- [1:18:00] How training can improve for police dog handlers.
- [1:25:00] How to connect with Paul.
- [1:26:30] Closing thoughts from Joe.
Resources & People Mentioned
- SPONSOR: www.DemaNetBiteSuits.com – Use discount code “Dog Show” for 10% off
- Bite Ranch K9 Training Academy
- Working Dog Radio
- Complete K9 Training
Connect with Paul Ludwig
- K9 Guardians
Connect With Nick and Joe