In this episode, the guys bring in special guests Jacob Robinson (USMC Special Ops) and Mountain Sanz (USMC Infantry). The four of them shoot the shit and talk Tracking & Trailing for the military and ordinary pet owners! Plus….United Airlines did what?!?!?!?!h more!!
Get the Scoop on Tracking and Trailing with Jacob Robinson and Mountain Sanz Ep #11
What is the difference between tracking and trailing? Is it helpful or harmful to the average dog owner to try tracking and trailing with their dog? How can this method of training provide dogs with the best possible workout? On this episode, you’ll hear from Nick and Joe as they welcome guests, Jacob Robinson and Malcolm [sp?] to the podcast to discuss the answers to these questions and so much more! Find out the ins and outs of tracking and trailing and what it means for dog enthusiasts like you!
The difference between tracking and trailing.
Have you ever wondered what the difference is between tracking and trailing? Is one better than the other? What purpose does each serve? On this episode, Nick and Joe dive into this important topic and explain the difference between these two important aspects of dog training. Tracking is when a dog tracks a subject footstep for footstep taking their exact path with no deviations. Trailing is when a dog uses all of its senses to track a subject especially focusing on smell to cut corners and find the most direct route to their target. To hear more about the differences and the practical uses of these two aspects of dog training, make sure to listen to this episode!
Why tracking and trailing is so beneficial for dogs.
Is there a real and lasting benefit for the average dog owner to work on tracking and trailing with their dogs? What are the drawbacks? On this episode, you’ll hear from Nick and Joe as they break down the reasons why this activity is one of the best training activities you can work on with your dog. The guys explain that if you are an active and outdoors type of person, tracking and trailing is one of the best jobs you can work with your dog on. While every breed is different and some will excel at it more than others, every dog can practice tracking and trailing to some degree. Go deeper with this important topic by listening to this engaging episode!
Which dog breed and gender are better for training purposes?
Is there one dog breed that is better for training purposes more than any other breed out there? Is it preferable to train with male or female dogs? How does neutering or spaying your dog impact their ability or drive? On this episode, the guys discuss the optimal condition and preferences they have when choosing which dogs to train with. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter if the dog is male or female or if they’ve been neutered or spayed, it all comes down to the personal preference of the trainer. When it comes to tracking and trailing, the guys touch on why Malinois dogs are one of the best breeds out there, but really there is a whole range of dog breeds that will excel in tracking and trailing. Learn more about these trainers preferences on this exciting episode!
Tracking and trailing stories.
What do tracking and trailing look like on a practical level? What should a dog owner expect if they were to start working on this aspect with their dog? On this episode, you’ll hear from the guys and their guests as they go over some real-world applications and stories about tracking and trailing. While it may sound intimidating and out of reach for some dog owners, if you are interested in giving it a try, the guys provide some helpful tips on how to get started and where to look in your local area. Don’t miss this great opportunity to learn from their stories and get started!
Outline of This Episode
- [0:45] Nick and Joe welcome their guests, Malcolm [sp?] and Jacob.
- [2:00] Nick talks about upcoming travel plans.
- [3:30] Joe launches into some news stories featuring dogs.
- [18:30] Jacob Robinson talks about his background and working with dogs in the military.
- [23:30] Malcolm talks about the difference between tracking and trailing.
- [27:00] Joe talks about why he loves tracking.
- [31:30] What is the best dog breed for tracking and trailing?
- [45:00] Why tracking and trailing is so beneficial for dogs.
- [54:30] Nick and Joe share tracking stories.
- [1:03:30] Where can the average dog owner can do tracking and trailing?
- [1:05:00] Jacob talks about some of the hardest biting dogs he’s worked with.
- [1:13:30] Malcolm talks about his work with dogs.
- [1:15:30] Is there a preference between female and male dogs for training?
- [1:17:30] Is it better for a protection dog to be neutered or not?
- [1:24:00] Are there any downsides to the average pet owner working on tracking or training?
- [1:32:00] Closing thoughts on tracking and tailing from Nick and Joe.
Resources & People Mentioned
- SPONSOR: www.DemaNetBiteSuits.com – Use discount code “Dog Show” for 10% off
- SPONSOR: www.whistle.com Use discount code “Dog Show” for $15 off of your order.
- SPONSOR: Flower of Life CBD
- Bite Ranch K9 Training Academy